Equipment Required: a pair of dumbbells (optional)
- Stand with one foot forward, the other back.
- Both feet should be facing straight forward.
- Be sure your front knee is over your front ankle.
- Lower your back knee almost to the floor, and rise up again.
- Concentrate on squeezing your buttocks to push yourself up, and keep the abdominals tight and the lower back in a neutral position.
- Maintain the body in an upright position and avoid leaning forward.
- To modify the intensity, you can perform the exercise with no weights, with dumbbells in each hand, or with a barbell across your shoulders. See the Dumbbell Forward Lunge.
- If you have adequate space, perform walking lunges, crossing the length of your room while lunging with each step.
- You can perform the lunge with a step backwards, such as with the Reverse Dumbbell Lunge. Another alternative is lunging side to side instead of forwards or back.
- see Exercises at home - the lunge
- Lunges at the beach
- Pregnancy Exercises: Side Lunge, Forward Lunge
- Dumbbell Exercises: Reverse Lunge and Forward Lunge
- Free weights for sale in the fitness store