The Superman exercise is a great exercise to strengthen the lower back. This exercise is part of the Superhero workout. This exercise is also known as the dorsal raise.
Equipment Required: none
- Lie face down with arms out straight in front of you. Keep your neck in a neutral position.
- Raise your arms and gently extend the spine to raise the chest slightly off the floor to a comfortable height, and raise the legs off the ground, forming an elongated 'u' shape with your body. The arms and legs should be several inches off the floor.
- Pause and hold this raised position for several seconds.
- Slowly lower back to the starting position.
Key points to remember
- Exhale as you lift your arms and legs and inhale as you lower them back down.
- Alternating Superman - lifting opposite arm and leg.
- this exercise is part of the Superhero workout
- see also the Alternating Superman
- large list of exercise techniques