Sporting FunFun > Names > Apt
Apt Sporting Names
Here is my list of apt sporting names - people's names that are appropriate to their talent or sport. The correct term for it is an aptronym. They may seem like they are made up, but I have checked most of these and they are true. See my list of top 10 apt sporting names. Do you know of more? Let me know.
Apt Football/Soccer Names
- George Best - Manchester United and Northern Ireland footballer, considered to be one of the best ever players.
- Zhu Ting - a chinese soccer striker, pronounced shoo-ting.
- Alan Ball - English footballer, played in the 1966 World Cup winning team.
Apt Names in Track and Field
- Usain Bolt- 100m and 200m world record holder and Olympic Gold medalist.
- Marina Stepanova - 1986 400 hurdle WR holder
- Yordanka Donkova - Bulgarian female hurdler who won an Olympic gold and bronze medal
- James Jett - 1992 Olympic 4 X 100 relay runner
- Nathan Leeper - an American high jumper - finished eleventh at the 2000 Olympic Games.
- Jesus someone, a little known Spanish steeple chaser, who must have not mastered the walking on water bit.
Apt Baseball Players
- Thomas Diamond - Major League Baseball player (a baseball field is sometimes called a "diamond").
- Homer Bush - baseball player
- Cecil Fielder - baseball player, and his son Prince Fielder also played baseball.
- Roland Fingers - former Major League Baseball relief pitcher for the Oakland Athletics (1968–76), San Diego Padres (1977–80) and Milwaukee Brewers (1981–85).
- Tiger Woods - obviously a good driver with his wood.
- Gary Player - professional golfer.
- Chip Beck - professional golfer.
- There are also a number of golfers named 'Green' but not as successful.
Apt NFL Players
- Chuck Long - former NFL quarterback for the Detroit Lions and the Los Angeles Rams.
- Takeo Spikes - NFL linebacker
- Mac Speedie - former Cleveland Browns wide receiver.
- Ryan Longwell - NFL placekicker who holds the record for longest field goal in Green Bay Packers history.
- Michael Ball - footballer, currently a free agent.
- Willie Thrower - former NFL quarterback.
- Scott Player - professional football player (punter).
Apt Names in Motor Sports
- Will Power - an Australian motorsport driver.
- Lake Speed - former Nascar driver.
- Scott Speed - Nascar racing driver, formerly in Formula One, GP2 and A1GP
Apt names in Ice Hockey
- Miroslav Satan - a Slovak professional ice hockey right winger whose last club was the KHL's UHC Dynamo Moscow.
- Paul Lawless - Canadian professional ice hockey left winger, played 7 seasons in the NHL for the Hartford Whalers, Philadelphia Flyers, Vancouver Canucks and Toronto Maple Leafs.
Apt Names in other Sports
- Margaret Court - champion tennis player.
- Anna Smashnova - a former professional tennis player from Russia.
- Jim Playfair - former professional ice hockey player and a former head coach of the Calgary Flames.
- Jeffrey Float - a former deaf American swimmer, world record holder, world champion and Olympic champion.
- David Hookes – a cricketer who had success hooking the ball.
- Derek Kickett - former Australian rules footballer. Played 152 games with the North Melbourne, Essendon and the Sydney Swans from 1989 to 1996 and kicked 179 goals.
- Gilbert Arenas - basketball player (basketball is played in an arena)
- Tim Duncan - San Antonio Spurs
- Lloy Ball - American volleyball player.
- Layne Beachley - Australian world champion surfer.
- Albert Champion - French road cycling Champion in the past
- Chris Moneymaker - World Series of Poker Champion 2003.
Apt when Translated
- Marco Velo - professional cyclist (vélo means bike in French).
- Žydrūnas Ilgauskas - currently second tallest NBA player ("ilgas" means "tall" in slang in Lithuanian - literally "long").
- Derek Jeter - New York Yankees shortstop (jeter is French for "to throw").
- Eric Gagné - French-Canadian baseball pitcher ("Gagné" is French for "win").
- Simon Gagné - hockey player ("Gagné" is French for "win").
- Peter Bowler - cricketer who was primarily a batsman.
- Lance Armstrong - should it be leg strong?
- Steve Slowly - Jamaican sprinter
- Amateur boxer Joe Flanagan apparently named his two sons Bob and Weave.
- top 10 apt sporting names
- funny names in sport
- Unusual Sports Names - some of these are pretty funny.
comments powered by Disqus