Sport in Afghanistan
Below are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Afghanistan.
During the Taliban regime, the playing of sports had a setback with all sports banned for both men and women. Since the fall of the Taliban, the playing of sports has become popular again, and women are participating in sports in greater numbers too.
Major sports of Afghanistan
- Football (Soccer)
- Buzkashi (the national sport of Afghanistan) - played mainly in the northern part of the country.
Afghanistan Sporting Success
- On April 9, 2010, Afghanistan defeated Nepal to win the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) Twenty20 Cup.
Athletes from Afghanistan
- Rohullah Nikpai (Taekwondo) - only Olympic Games medal winner
Afghanistan Sports trivia
- Afghanistan's national sport of Buzkashi is a form of polo that is centered around claiming the carcass of a goat.
Afghanistan at major events
Afghanistan first competed at the Olympic Games in 1936, and has been to many Olympics since then. They have missed 1952, 1976, 1984, 1992 and 2000 (banned). It was the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan that brought on a U.S. led to boycott the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games. More about Afghanistan at the Summer Olympics
Afghanistan have also been involved in the Asian Games. A precursor to the Asian Games, The West Asian Games, were held in New Delhi, India, in 1934, and included India, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Palestine.
Past sporting events hosted in Afghanistan
- Afghanistan and Oman shared the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) Twenty20 Cup in November 2007
Upcoming sporting events in Afghanistan
Annual sporting events held in Afghanistan
Sporting Facilities in Afghanistan
Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please make a comment below.