St Louis, 1904 Olympic Games
The 1904 Olympic Games were held in St Louis. In 1904 the Olympic Games was still well short of being a true international competition. There were only representatives from 13 countries. Eighty-five percent of the competitors were Americans, and eight percent were Canadians. There was only one competitor from Australia, and no British at all.
- Roque, a version of croquet, was contested at one Olympic Games, in 1904. The USA won all three medals that were on offer.
- In the marathon, Fred Lorz rode in a car for eleven miles, and was briefly taken as being the winner before the truth was known.
- One of the most remarkable athletes was the American gymnast George Eyser, who won six medals even though his left leg was made out of wood.
- the complete list of Olympic host cities
- USA have also hosted the Games in Los Angles 1932, Los Angles 1984, Atlanta 1996