Dumbbell Side Raises (Lateral Raises)Equipment Required: a pair of dumbbells, mirror (optional)
- Starting by standing and holding a dumbbell in each hand (facing a mirror if one is available).
- Slightly bend at the elbows and turn the dumbbells so that the palms are facing the sides of your body
- Raise the dumbbells out to the sides until they are at shoulder height. At the top of the movement, the dumbbells should be facing downward.
- After a pause at the top, slowly lower the dumbbells back to the starting position.
- Repeat until the set is completed
Key points to remember
- keep the torso upright, with the abdominals tight and the lower back in a neutral position.
- the movement should be performed in a slow and controlled manner
- the intensity of this exercise can be modified using a variety of weights and by modifying the number of repetitions and sets
- any weighted object can be used rather than dumbbells, so this exercise can be performed at home without the need of specific equipment.
- a lateral raise exercise you can do at home using bottles
- more Dumbbell Exercises
- Free weights for sale in the fitness store