Adventure & Extreme Sports
Ultramarathon or Ultra-endurance events commonly cover distances of 50 and 100 miles, or 50 and 100 kilometers, though an unlimited number of distances are possible, including distances such as double marathons, 24 hour runs, or multiday races of 1000 miles or even longer. The ultramarathons can either cover a specified distance, or take place during a specified time frame, with the winner covering the most distance in that time. For endurance races of (only!) about marathon distance of 26 miles, there is a separate Marathon list.
Here is a selection of some great, challenging and unusual ultraendurance running events around the world.
- Atacama Crossing - Chile
- Badwater Ultramarathon, USA - 217 km starting in Death Valley
- Big Ice Race - 590km race across the Arctic Circle, Greenland
- Dingle Ultramarathon - 50 miles, breathtaking, beautiful coastal route.
- Gobi March - China
- Jungle Marathon, Brazil - 100km or 200km event.
- Marathon des Sables, Morocco - six day event the Moroccan Desert.
- Sahara Race - Egypt
- The Last Desert - Antartica.