There are a lot of eating and drinking contests from around the world, and others that just involve food of some sort, mostly eating and drinking for speed or volume.
Did you know that there was an International Federation of Competitive Eating (IFOCE), which "encourages communication, cooperation, and uniformity in the supervision and regulation of competitive eating events". This association supervises and regulates eating contests in their various forms throughout the world. On the website there is also details about the Major League of Eating (MLE) and eating records for any conceivable eating contest. Did you know that Don Lerman holds the record for eating six pounds of baked beans in one minute, 48 seconds?
Here are some of the more unusual competitions involving food and drinks.
Eating and Drinking Competitions
- World Hot Dog Eating Championships - don't try this at home - well you may already
- World Pie Eating Contest - games in gluttony.
- World Stinging Nettle Challenge - would you eat something with the word 'stinging' in it?
- Beer sculling - get it down fast
Other Food Related Events
- Real Ale Wobble and Ramble — the best way to enjoy a ride or walk - inebriated
- Cheese Rolling - get yourself and the cheese to the bottom of a hill.
- Egg Rolling — an Easter tradition
- Orange Races — racing oranges down a hill.
- Beer Pong — combining drinking and ping pong