Sport in Qatar
Here are details of sports, sporting events and sports people related to Qatar. Football is clearly the most popular sport in Qatar, and has been given a even greater boost with the country being awarded the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Major sports of Qatar
Qatar's Sporting Success
- Winners of the Football Gulf Cup twice, first in 1992 and again in 2004.
- 2nd place at the 1981 FIFA World Youth Cup.
- Saif Saaeef Shaheen won the 3,000m steeplechase at the 2003 World Athletics Championships.
Athletes from Qatar
- Saif Saaeef Shaheen (athletics)
- Mohamed Suleiman (athletics)
- Said Saif Asaad (weightlifting).
- Andres Sebastian Soria Quintana (soccer)
- Khalfan Ibrahim Khalfan Al Khalfan (soccer)
- Nasser Saleh Al-Attiyah (shooting)
- Jaber Salem (weightlifting)
- Talal Mansoor (athletics)
Qatar Sports trivia
They first competed at the Olympic Games in 1984.
There have been two Olympic medalists from Qatar, Mohamed Suleiman (3rd, 1500m in 1992) and Said Saif Asaad (3rd weightlifting in 2000).
Talal Mansoor made history at the 1994 Asian Games by winning three gold medals (100m, 200m and 4x400m relay).
Qatar at major events
Past sporting events hosted in Qatar
- 1988 AFC Asian Cup (soccer)
- 1995 FIFA U-20 World Cup
- 1999 Handball World Junior Championship
- 2006 Asian Games
Upcoming sporting events in Qatar
Annual sporting events held in Qatar
- Qatar Masters Golf Tournament, played at the Doha Golf Club in Doha.
- Qatar Open tennis tournament, Doha.
- Moto GP
Sporting Facilities in Qatar
Is there something missing? If you know of something that should be listed here, please let me know.